Friday, April 13, 2012

Volunteering for Mum and a walk for me!

Today I thought I might tell you a little bit about Mum's voluntary work.  Mum works with an organisation called Age UK  (Age UK is the new organisation combining Age Concern & Help the Aged) Age UK has a vision of a world in which older people flourish. They aim to improve later life for everyone through  information and advice, campaigns, products, training and research.



Mum works with the Bradford branch and specifically on a project called Walk From Home. The project aims to  improve the health and well being of older people who have lost confidence because of falls, declining mobility or isolation. It helps them regain confidence by walking with them in their local area.

Today Mum had to meet a lady new to the scheme, so she said I could go too, though I'd have to wait in the car, obviously. The new lady is 92 and came to the UK after fleeing Latvia during World War II. She's getting a bit nervous about going out alone and finds the traffic a bit of a challenge. Mum is going to help her walk to her local store and maybe even catch the bus to her doctor's surgery. Although this was the first meeting, Mum says she knows they will get on just fine; the lady has a cat! She says there really aren't that many people still alive who can tell you first hand about the Soviet occupation of Latvia in 1940. I do hope Mum remembers to take the lady for a walk as well as listen to tales from the war!

Mum really enjoys her voluntary work, and I think I might too, as she took me for a lovely walk afterwards! 

If you would like to make a donation or volunteer with Age UK, you can contact them on 

0800 169 8787 or visit their Website

As I said, Mum took me on a nice walk after she had met the new lady. We went to a place called Chellow Dene.



Chellow Dene consists of two Victorian reservoirs set in a deep wooded valley. It's a great place for wildlife including herons & woodpeckers.





We might not be around for about a week as Other Mum has a few days holiday and it is Mum's birthday on Monday! Being a gentleman, I will not say how old she will be..... but it's the same year as the QE II was launched, so she ain't no spring chicken Hehe!! Have a great weekend everyone.

Deccy x