Friday, February 3, 2012

Today's Walk

When we got up this morning, it was freezing cold. I think both Mum & I were pretty grumpy when we went on our first outing of the day at 7.00am. But by 9.00am the sun was shining brightly and outside started to look very inviting to me. I lay around humphing a lot...


Eventually Thicko Mum got the message and suggested that we might enjoy another walk now that the weather was brighter. Well done Mum.... It's not like I've been hinting for an hour.... doh!

It was still -2 so by the time Mum had put on 27 layers of clothing, another half hour had passed.

For God's sake Mum hurry up and get ready. If I had gnadgers they'd be frozen off standing here with the tailgate  open....


So we set off and decided to stop at the tennis courts first so I could have an off lead gallop.


The tennis courts are at a place called Queensbury, which is quite a lot higher towards the moors than we are at home, hence the snow! I wasn't really in a very gallopy mood today mainly wandered around sniffing, weeing and staring into the middle distance.

After we'd done, we went for a walk in the park, which is where Mum spotted this chimney, and thought you might like to hear something about the mill it belongs to.


Black Dyke Mills Chimney - 228 ft

The building is no longer used as a mill but it is the erstwhile home of the Black Dyke Mills Band. Interesting name I'm sure you'll all agree.... anyway moving swiftly on...

The Band can trace it's origins back to 1816 and largely comprised of mill workers and their families. It is one of the oldest and most famous brass bands in the world. (Famous amongst whom, I'm not sure....) Nevertheless, they have recorded with Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel and The Beautiful South. How jolly impressive.

On the way back to the car, we called into the tennis courts again for one more chance at a zoomie, but frankly, I really couldn't be a**ed!


So now I am home on my sofa dictating this to Mum. Normally I'd do it myself, but in this weather I'm not coming out from under my blanky! Hope you all have a great weekend.