Monday, February 13, 2012

Declan the Chef



Had all gone to plan, I was intending to have a regular slot showcasing doggy treats - both of my own invention and from my doggy cookbook christmas present. However, the best laid plans and all that stuff.....

Some of you will know, (some will be trying to forget..) that over recent months I have had intermittent Exploding Bum Issues (EBI). Currently I am on a very bland "back to basics" diet, and touch wood, no explosions for 2 weeks now. Mum says if all is well in a weeks time she will introduce other foods one at a time to see how I cope. We are going to start with mashed carrot or potato. The excitement could very well prove too much...hmmmmm. 

So..... If I can't cook for myself, now that I have the outfit, I might as well cook for Mums.

I decided to go with the all- American classic - Meatloaf. I may well be on dodgy ground here, what with so many of my friends living over the Pond, so I hope you approve!

Ingredients
2lbs mince beef
1 large onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 tbs chopped parsley
2oz white bread, crusts removed
1 tbs mustard powder
2tbs Worcester sauce
5floz white wine
1 egg
seasoning

Method
Pretty much, just blend everything together in a food processor. Start by putting the bread in on its own, reducing to fine crumbs & remove. Then the onion, garlic and parsley. Blitz until they are very finely chopped. Then add the mince followed by all the other ingredients.

You may want to get your humans to help with the above... I found having quite long toe nails made it a bit hazardous.....

Pack the mixture in a loaf tin. I made a simple vine tomato sauce, just using cherry tomatoes, a good virgin olive oil and seasoning, reducing it over a low heat in a saucepan.  I poured this over the meatloaf before placing it in a bain-marie and cooking at 150 degrees centigrade for 2 hours. I think the tomato sauce helps keep the meat moist.  I then let it rest, covered in foil for 20 mins. (It was quite hard not to eat it, at this point..)



Traditionally, I believe, meatloaf is served with mashed potato, but my friends, this is Yorkshire! And what do Yorkshire folk eat with everything? Yorkshire Puddings of course! Just click the link if you'd like the recipe.

Meatloaf served with roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese and Yorkshire puddings.
I do hope I haven't incensed my American pals too much. Perhaps one of you could get your own back, by posting your recipe for Stotty cake!